Saturday 17 July 2010

A wet and windy week

Monday - After our 100 miler we did a short ride to Turf Locks. The wind was against us and it started to pour with rain. Not fancying a drink outside, we flew home again with the wind behind us.

Wednesday - We set off in the dry to Brampford Speke and out through Thorverton, but the roads were wet and muddy, making descents slow and scary. Then the rain came. I was keen to turn back at Nether Exe but Ant decreed we should do our designated miles. Luck was on my side as we got to the junction and found the road closed. Yay! Turning back we found the lanes were really flooded at points and I made a note not to come this way in wet weather again!

Friday - We set out in sunshine to try and pick up the new cycle path in Topsham. On the second attempt we found it, only for it to stop shortly after at a junction with no signs. Following Ant's instinct, we turned left and found ourselves at Ebford. Perfect...oh, except we don't know the way from here! After a bit of 'exploring' we found the right road. At Lympstone the rain started coming down and on the cycle path to Exmouth the weather worsened. The rain got heavier and it was so windy I was struggling to control my bike. I soon decided I was going home! It was immediately easier with the wind behind us and shortly after the rain stopped and it brightened up again. It seemed a long journey back though - I was soaked through, tired and hungry. I was struggling with my leaning issues again and frustration set in. I hadn't found it so difficult for weeks.I can only hope Sunday's ride will go better. Oh - and I really must get round to fitting my mudguard!

No comments:

Post a Comment